Section 1 – Standard of Membership
The standard of membership in this assembly shall be:
- Profession of a genuine experience of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ (John 1:12-13, 3:3-8; Romans 10:9-10; 2 Corinthians 5:17; 1 Peter 1:18-25).
- Demonstration of a consistent Christian life (Romans 6:4, 8:1-11; Galatians 5:16-26; Ephesians 4:17-32; Colossians 3:5-17).
- Filled with or actively seeking the baptism in the Holy Spirit with the initial evidence of speaking in other tongues.
- Full subscription to the tenets of faith.
- Willingness to attend services faithfully, to participate in the work of this assembly, and to be governed by its Constitution and Bylaws.
- Contribute regularly and cheerfully to this assembly with tithes and offerings (Malachi 3:10; Luke 6:38; 1 Corinthians 16:2; 2 Corinthians 9:6-8; Hebrews 7:4-9).
- Completion of classes prescribed for new members.
Section 2 – Procedure for Admission to Membership
- It is the desire of Seaport Community Church to freely extend its fellowship to all individuals. At the same time, Seaport Community Church desires to uphold the principles of commitment to Christ and to the body that Scripture teaches must accompany true membership in the body of Christ.
All individuals 12 years of age or older* who have personally received Christ as their Saviour and Lord, who have received water baptism as a believer, and who desire to be committed to Seaport Community Church as a local body of believers may become members of Seaport Community Church through the following procedure:
1. Completion of six (6) months of regular attendance and consistent participation in the life of Seaport Community Church except in the case of transfer of membership see Article II Section 8.
2. Attendance at Membership Class
Periodic membership classes shall be offered to provide teaching on:
- The Seaport Community Church Statement of Faith
- The Scriptural principles of commitment to the body of Christ
- Seaport Community Church Principles of Government
3. Personal Interview
Following attendance at membership classes, the individuals desiring membership shall meet with the Board of Deacons or appointed leader to verbalize their personal testimony and to determine the integrity of their faith and their desire to be committed to Seaport Community Church as a local body of believers. The Board of Deacons shall then render a final decision.
4. Signed Statement of Commitment
A signed Statement of Commitment shall be used as an instrument to affirm one’s desire for membership and to serve as formal record of one’s membership.
5. Public Affirmation of New Members Before The Congregation
All persons who shall have met the membership standard shall be received into the church in any Sunday morning service and their names shall be added to the membership roster.
6. Pastors – All pastors hired to serve on Seaport’s pastoral staff will automatically be placed on the membership role.
* – All individuals under 18 years of age who desire to become members of Seaport Community Church must receive written consent of their parents or legal guardian.
- Renewal of Membership
Each year in the month of December, each member shall sign a yearly Statement of Commitment to reaffirm his or her continued desire for membership. Failure to complete and sign the Statement of Commitment by December 31 will move the member into inactive status. In the event that membership is voluntarily terminated, membership may be reinstated in one (1) year by following steps 3, 4 and 5 above. Should termination last more than that one (1) year, reinstatement requires steps 1 through 5.